#154: Are you interested in copyrighting or trademarking your brand/program, but aren't sure where to start or what the difference is?
As entrepreneurs, sometimes we get so caught up in building the business or working on marketing our program, that we forget about copyrighting or trademarks. Many of us, myself included, may have only thought about it as an afterthought and told myself that I'll look into it later when I have more time.
That's why today's guest, Steven Thrasher is going to explain to us about the world of IP - intellectual property and teach us to distinguish between the different categories of copyrighting and trademarks, and what we should consider before filling out that application form.
He’s the intellectual property (IP) attorney/consultant who’s on a mission to secure IP for coaches, consultants, and online businesses, while protecting us from life-draining lawsuits. Steven does this by identifying, tracking, and registering trademarks and copyrights, and by preparing IP Ledgers. He does all this while investigating paleo-ruins in the Middle East, mountain climbing on remote continents, and creating businesses of his own. ;)
This episode covers common mistakes that people make when wanting to apply for a trademark or copyright and why it's important to do it before you find someone selling your program as their own on the internet.
This episode is jam-packed full of great ideas, so let's get to it!
Learn About the World of Intellectual Property...
- [03:35] How Steven started his journey into law - and actually comes from a technical background
- [06:01] What prompted him to go to law school and make that jump
- [8:35] What is the difference between IP, trademark and copyright?
- [12:19] What kind of assets should I as an entrepreneur consider to copyright or trademark?
- [19:26] What does it mean to trademark something? What value does it bring to you?
- [20:27] When is the best time to trademark? When should I start thinking about it?
- [23:47] Copyrighting - Why you should register as soon as possible
- [25:24] Major steps to start the process of getting your brand/logo/program copyrighted/trademarked
Important Links & Mentions in this episode:
- Steven's Website
- Steven's Guide on Trademarks Made Easy
- Steven's Book - Coming Soon in 2022!
- Power of One Framework Masterclass
- Subscribe + Review on iTunes
- Subscribe + Listen on Spotify
Remember, YOU Matter! See you in the next episode.